Tax Time Lament

Why do taxes have to be so difficult?

I am not one of those who complains about the concept of paying taxes. I believe that paying taxes is our duty, our dues for living in the United States.

What I do not understand however, is why it has to be so complicated. I'm reasonably intelligent. I am college educated, successful in business, and comfortable with technology. Even though I use a computer to do my taxes, I am still rarely sure that I have done them correctly. I read the instructions and they rarely help much. Most of the time, because I try to err on the side of caution, I am convinced I am paying too much. But, there's always the nagging feeling in the far recesses of my mind that I've not paid enough and I'll get into some trouble. The real point is that I just do not know. And, that seems wrong to me. It should not be so difficult to determine if you are following the law.

I sent this to my elected officials in the House and Senate.

No comments: