My Attachment to Stuff

We are going back to Batavia this weekend to our unsold house (www.1141averill.com). We probably have to tend to the yard (trim some bushes) and clean up some dust in the house. We’re going to move some furniture around to make the place show a little better.

We’re also planning on bringing some stuff back to New Hampshire. As I look at the list we put together, I was surprised it was so short. And the stuff was generally little things like the garlic press or the DVD player cables.

It seems, for me at least, I have gotten to the point where I don’t miss the whole house full of stuff sitting there in Illinois. I do miss three things, I admit: my electric piano, my guitar amplifier, and our filing cabinet. We’re using boxes to store papers and bills (I’m a bit of a packrat when it comes to records like that) and that is getting old. But the rest of it I don’t really miss much. OK, maybe my Mac on occasion, but the Windoze laptop seems to be doing pretty well.

We have donated so much of our stuff in preparation for the move too. Lots of things have gone to the Goodwill. Why pay to move it when you don’t even use it? The house looks better less cluttered.



It will be nice when some if it gets here I suppose. Sitting in my chair will probably be more comfortable to me than the furniture in our rented house. But, I don’t really have as strong an attachment to that stuff as I thought I would. I think it’s an unforeseen benefit of moving.

No comments: