Return to Geekdom


My work at Yoopersoft has largely been in the area of marketing and writing some web copy. Now, however, I'm trying to help out in the programming area.

I didn't realize how much I'd fallen behind in technology. The last time I did a website for someone, I had hand coded the html. Now I am using a tool called Visual Web Developer. Some things seem simpler, but a lot of what used to be simple seems much harder.

I used to be up until the wee hours of the night trying to figure out a SQL statement that will do what I want. Or, I used to stay up all hours trying to get some silly program to do what I wanted it to. I finally got more serious this last weekend and now I've switched back over to geek mode. I was up way too late trying to figure out how to read a database record and populate a label or a text box with the value from a specific column. It seemed like it should be so simple, but it took lines of code to do it. I still think there has to be a simpler way of course, but for now it's working. Thanks in no small way to my partner's help, by the way.

I haven't picked up a new pocket protector yet, but it's just a matter of time.

No comments: