Need a More Creative Health Care Solution

I read John McCain's speech. I prefer to read the transcript rather than listen to the speech itself because I believe all the applause breaks get in the way. I was very impressed. I do have to quibble with one line however:

"My health care plan will make it easier for more Americans to find and keep good health care insurance. His plan will force small businesses to cut jobs, reduce wages, and force families into a government-run health care system where a bureaucrat stands between you and your doctor."

I still do not understand why it is acceptable for an insurance company bureaucrat to stand between me and my doctor! Let's try and eliminate the middleman altogether. Is the insurance model the only way to solve our health care crisis? As I've written on previous posts: just think about the insurance business model. If you look at it from a business model point of view, I believe you'll find that private, for-profit insurance is not an optimal solution. Replacing that with a massive, centralized bureaucracy is not the answer either. Perhaps INSURANCE, public or private is not the way to go!

I wish I had the magic answer - I don't. I don't find it acceptable to have any bureaucracy between me and my doctor - private or public.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Good for people to know.